Skip to main content

Working More Hours than Contracted without Pay

By January 9, 2022No Comments

Working More Hours Than Contracted Without Pay: What Can You Do?

It`s not uncommon for employees to put in extra hours than what is stated in their contract. In fact, most of us have probably experienced it at some point in our careers. Whether it`s to meet deadlines, finish important projects, or simply to keep up with the workload, working beyond the stated hours is often viewed as a necessary sacrifice in the workplace.

However, problems arise when these extra hours go unpaid. Many employees assume that working more than their contracted hours will automatically result in overtime pay, but this is not always the case. Employers may get away with not paying their staff for the extra hours worked by citing loopholes in their contracts or simply by convincing employees that it`s part of the job.

If you find yourself in a situation where you are consistently working more hours than what`s stated in your contract without any extra pay, here are some steps you can take:

1. Keep track of your hours

Start keeping a record of the extra hours that you work. This will help you to accurately track the amount of unpaid overtime you`ve accumulated and serve as evidence if you decide to take legal action. Make sure you include the dates and times you worked, as well as the tasks you completed during those extra hours.

2. Review your contract

Review your employment contract to see what it says about overtime pay. If you can`t find any clauses or policies on overtime pay, it may be worth speaking to your HR department or trade union representative to clarify the terms of your contract.

3. Approach your employer

If you are confident that you are owed overtime pay, it`s best to approach your employer first. Explain the situation and provide evidence of the extra work you`ve done. Sometimes, employers may not realize that they are not paying their staff for extra hours worked, and a simple conversation can resolve the matter.

4. File a complaint

If approaching your employer doesn`t work, you may need to file a complaint. This may involve contacting your trade union representative or filing a complaint with a government body such as the Department of Labor or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. These organizations can investigate your claim and help you to recover any unpaid wages.

In conclusion, working more hours than what`s stated in your contract without extra pay is not acceptable. It`s important to be aware of your rights as an employee and take action if you feel that your employer is not fulfilling their obligations. By tracking your hours, reviewing your contract, approaching your employer, and filing a complaint if necessary, you can take steps to protect yourself from exploitation in the workplace.
Contactez-nous : +41 79 849 09 82